Top 10 list - What to expect from my Kitchen and Bath Remodel?
We’ve learned from many homeowners excited about a new kitchen and bath remodel they can find it overwhelming – the whole unknown can be intimidating. So we thought it might be helpful to unveil some of the mystery – provide a quick “Step-by-Step” of what you can expect.
First and foremost, make sure the installers are professionals – it will save you a lot of headaches in the end. Shortcuts and discounted installers can cost you more in the long run in issues, additional costs and more important liabilities. At KSI our professional installers are licensed, insured and have Workman’s Compensation to protect you and your home. Don’t be afraid to ask to see proof of this.
TOP 10 List of what you can expect with your Kitchen or Bath Remodel:
- Kitchen is Closed - Understand that your Kitchen or Bathroom will be out of commission for 6 – 8 weeks. With every project KSI provides a tentative schedule.
- First step - tear-out and prepping for cabinet installation
- Second step – rough plumbing and electrical
- Third step – cabinet installation
- Fourth step – countertop template
- Fifth step – flooring, painting, trim work
- Sixth step – "Day of rest" – No one is really resting - expect there to be days when there is no one in your home working. This is normal.
- Seventh step – Countertop installation, hooking up plumbing, tile backsplash, hardware
- Eighth step – Punch list
- Pack it up. Clean out your Kitchen or Bathroom before installation begins and pack your belongings in clearly marked boxes to help you when you’re unpacking later. This includes; dishware, glassware, pots/pans, cleaning supplies, toiletries, pictures, paintings, or tables that may be in the way of your installation team.
- Don’t Pack it up. Items you plan to use daily; coffee maker, can opener, utensils, paper plates, towels, soap, etc.
- Temporary Cooking area. You may want to set up a temporary cooking area. It could be a microwave, toaster oven or even small barbecue.
- Storage Area – Dedicate an area of your garage for storage of materials and debris. And make sure that the driveway is available for installer to access home easily during remodel.
- It may get messy. While installers make every effort to retain the work –
- Plastic coverings are used on doorways and vents to help deter any mess.
- KSI will cover your flooring with a protective material to prevent scratches and dirt.
- KSI will clean up at the end of every day so you and your family can walk through your home safely.
- Preparation is name of the Game! Plan to either wash your dishes in the bathroom/utility sink or shower/bath in another bathroom.
- Plan for the unexpected. Complications may arise. Unknown issues could lurk behind your walls such as rotted wood, electrical wiring, plumbing, or heating duct work that must be moved or repaired. If an unknown complication arises, your remodeling team will discuss the issues along with your options to continue renovation. Expect a signed Change Order with any contractor you work with – this protects contractor as well as yourself. Conversations about any additional costs would be discussed at this time and included in Change Order – that way there are no unexpected costs at end of your remodel.
- Eat out. Plan to eat out a few times. You deserve a break – no prep or clean up.
- Make plans for your pets so they are out of harm’s way during remodel. Whatever that looks like for you – if your pet is crate trained – that is their safe space, make sure they’re crated. Maybe it’s a room with a closed door or you drop them off at a sitter.
The disruption and inconvenience of a remodeling project is temporary and the reward at the end is so worth it! At the end you will have this beautiful new space to enjoy and share with family and friends.
For more information and to learn more about planning your next kitchen or bath remodel visit KSIKitchens.com
For design ideas visit our gallery of project images at KSIkitchens.com/gallery.